Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Can We Survive Without A Spiritual Vision?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Aurino Souza on April 11, 2001 13:27:28 UTC

It is my opinion that most people who oppose religion are in fact opposed to irrationality, superstition, dogma, and the many other intellectual problems with religious thought. I also have a problem with those but I'm not ready to jump into the atheist bandwagon for a simple reason: most people need a vision to guide their lives, and I include myself among those.

What I mean by vision is some intellectual model which resolves, to a satisfactory extent, the deep emotional/existential conflicts most people seem to be a victim of. Atheists seem to make little of it and I'm not sure why. Perhaps they don't experience existential conflicts, perhaps they are afraid or embarassed to admit that they do, perhaps their materialistic philosophies actually solves their conflicts or at least prevents them from springing into their conscious activity. I'm not sure, I think the answer must lie somewhere along those terms.

In any case, the real challenge to the atheist is, can you provide comfort to the masses? By trying to kill God, so to speak, aren't you trying to throw a lot of people into an unsolvable existential crisis?

Atheists seem to think people look for religion in search of truth when in fact what they are really looking for is meaning and hope, things they can seldom find elsewhere. If we are to get rid of religion what should we put in its place?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins