Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Don't Elevate Religion.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on April 12, 2001 21:34:48 UTC

I find it curious that you imply that because it can be shown philosophically that some of the basis for religion is justified that we should elevate religion above the superstition that it is. The people that came up with and most of those that are its leaders today don't know much philosophy. They seldom defend it on philosophical grounds. I wish they would more because logic will show the major flaws of religion. Most people believe it because it comforts them, they were taught it as children, and they don't understand science.

Let's talk about symmetries, philosophy, etc., but I don't think we should elevate religion above the prehistoric origin and continuing superstitious basis anymore than we should elevate the Dogon tribe's superstitious beliefs just because they believed Sirius had a small companion star before astronomers knew that.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins