Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Agree

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Brian E. Sloan on April 3, 2001 12:56:57 UTC

I have been posting on this and other fora for some time now. This is one of my favorites, in part, because of the convergence of science and religion that is apparent to this [and some other] observers and partly due to the lively [and diverse] atmosphere provided by its participants.

Though, I think we can go too far in being concerned with one anothers "feelings" and risk taking some of the flavour out of the discourse. As far as I am concerned, anyone can say anything they like to me, or about me. Indeed, one doesn't profess what I do, and expect to be welcomed with open arms in every debate, and I don't.

As far as my discourse directed to others goes, I will share something I have learned and employ regularly. That is, I will go miles out of my way to keep from personally attacking someone. However, their ideology is fair-game. For example, I take a no-holds barred irreverent attitude towards evolution, Darwinism and other currently accepted dogmas. But I would never refer to someone as an idiot for believing in it.

Admittedly, this modus operandi is tight-rope sort of affair and there is a risk of a guilt by association to those who adhere to the theories or ideologies which are the focus of my discourse.

If this should turn out to be the case, my advice would be to change your view on the subject, or retreat to your ivory tower.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2022 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins