Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Convert Religious Resources Into More Beneficial Ones

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on April 10, 2001 16:32:28 UTC

There has been an effort by some of the theist posters to make science and math just another kind of religion, based on faith. Some of the atheist posters have rejected that classification. I might go that route also, but for now I have what appears to be a different agenda.

Perhaps it's partly because I was a member of a highly proselytizing church (Mormon), but I feel a need to promote the benefits of science and announce the failures of religion. I see religion as a detriment to the more rapid development of society. Too much time and money have gone and still go to support religion and other superstitions around the world.

In Utah, for example, there are large blocks of land with LDS churches on them. Every Sunday the buildings are full. During most evenings they are being used, sometimes even during the days. Imagine how much faster Utah society could develop if these meeting houses were converted into something else such as training for science / math / artistic / vocational / physical health / financial personal development or welfare centers? What if the good Mormon people spent the time they used to spend doing Mormon callings and learning about the religious ideas of a fictitious carpenter (Jesus of Nazareth) and of a sexually-active treasure hunter (Joseph Smith) to, instead, learn something that can really benefit them.

The government should not oppress free thought (even religious thought), but if the Mormons would elect to leave their church in huge numbers and purchased the unused meeting houses to do more beneficial things, that would be nice, in my view.

If religious people around the world unitedly cast off the superstitious shackles of religion and converted religious buildings around the world into houses of real learning and progress, what a better place the world could be!

Realistically, I don't expect religion and superstition to fall so easily. My hope is that the slow, gradual process I see happening now continues and perhaps accelerates slightly in the future.

Debating thoughtful theists on sites like this one is a part of that immancipation process.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins