Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Jews Were Not God's Chosen People

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on April 7, 2001 21:28:24 UTC

Here are some more points about the claim that the Hebrews were the chosen people because they survived and their contemporaries died. This is an argument I sometimes give to Mormons who believe their brand of Christianity is the only true religion.

If God loves us so much why is such a small percentage (much less than 1% Mormon or much less than 1/2 Christian?) Doesn't He care about the others? If I were God I would arrange things so nearly everyone was a member of my church. If I would be a better God than the one people believe in then what good is He?

If Christ was real and, therefore, Christianity is the true religion and the others (Buddhism, Muslim, Jewish, etc.) are not then why do these other religions persist and thrive?

Technology works the way true religions ought to. When improved technology is presented to cultures that don't have it, but are capable of assimilating it, they readily do. Computers are found all around the world. The "religion" of technology quickly overcomes older versions as quickly as possible. Such doesn't seem to happen with religion.

If Mormonism were what they claim it to be then it should have quickly become established as the dominant religion in the world, electricity or the internal combustion engine or flight or many other technologies did so with less time.

A religious idea might replace others (like monotheism replacing polytheism or the idea that God loves us rather than just wanting our sacrifices)in religions, but a particular religion doesn't necessarily replace the others in existence, except by war. Christians (and Muslims, by the way) have sometimes had to resort to violence to do their missionary work.

Your God seems to be a war-monger, don't you think?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins