Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: What Truths Has Religion Discovered?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on February 15, 2001 14:26:13 UTC

Very impressive. Both of you. I think this forum has just risen to new heights of sophistication and seriousness.

Especially the salutations indicating who you are , where you are from and what you do. If you will allow me some latitude, I find it ironic - well not really, it's understandable- that the poster from that most atheistic of states, Massachusetts, and places, Harvard, is more open about the truth that lies beyond the reach of science, than the poster from that most religious of all states, Utah.

I guess what I am hearing is that we should be fearful of any one religion, and I think I include atheism in that group, from getting control of our political process and our lives.

I think the goal should always be to maximize the freedom of thought. And so a balance has to be achieved between science and religion to obtian the maximum. I can see that too much religion or too much science will diminish freedom of thought.

So like in Utah and Kansas we have to fight for science to get back into balance. At MIT where I used to work, I think maybe a little more religion would be good. Harvard where I also worked seems to maintain a pretty good balance between religion and science. Those alligned with either side seem to understand the limits of their persuasion and have respect for the endeavours of the other.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins