Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
On A Large Scale, No.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on February 6, 2001 03:43:21 UTC

Despite my agnostic beliefs, I will begrudgingly admit that religion is a necessary adhesive to hold societies together. I think that I would fall under most peoples' standards of a moral person; I'm not moral out of fear/hope of an afterlife, but because my actions can help other people. Not all people see things this way, however, and to normalize atheism would cause our foundations to crumble. With no eternal reward or punishment, how else would we keep the three day Christians in line?

I'm not just saying this, either. A few months ago I mentioned a statistic to my mom that I'd read recently. Something along the lines of 70% of Americans would not vote for an Atheist. I criticized that view. My mom, however, disagreed. She said that if you're an Atheist it means you're immoral. When I questioned this, she went on to say that they are immoral because they don't believe their good deeds will go rewarded, etc.

So, I said so her: "You think the only reason people are altruistic is to get a prize? The only reason you're moral on a day to day basis is to get into Heaven?"

She said yes.

Atheism will NOT work on a large scale.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins