Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Tenacious

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by back by unpopular demand on August 25, 2000 10:53:43 UTC

this is a repost, nobody responded, so i`ll try my chances 2nd time around.

Truth:
hey good to see you too Bzrd ;)

You brought up an interesting point about truth. You said that there`s no truth outside of god and that "we have succeeded in indoctrinating a couple of generations of children with the idea that wrong is right".

I maintain the stance that all notions of good and evil are indoctrinated, after all indoctrination is simply the instruction of of a body of principles. It`s built into us as a species, that the things we hate (and therefore label as evil) are those things that we are most threatened by. The more people threatened by an act, the more likely it`ll be considered evil. That`s why I believe good and evil are a product of consensus... and why evil will never entirely be removed. It`s not because man is inherently evil, but because as a society we need to continually reinvent good/evil to establish a state of "normality". By pointing the finger at someone else and saying "you`re a deviant" it`s easier to establish solidarity among the remaining so called normals. In otherwords, in a society of saints, it might be considered criminal if you didn`t say hello to someone.

Thus i insist, truth is dependant on perspective.

For example: does God exist? Yes? No? How does anyone know for sure? They don`t. Thus, you have the existence of faith. And, despite what you might have been led to believe, faith is not truth. Faith is a hard hat worn in areas where fear might fall and hit you in the head at any moment. It`s your need for the existence of something, not the universal truth of it.

Things change, and things evolve... that`s the nature of the universe and perhaps it`s only constant.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins