Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Caught Between Iraq And A Hardplace

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Robert Garfinkle on March 27, 2003 05:14:59 UTC

My friend and I were debating on having a debate. Although we still are debating on the debate issue. We already know what the topic is.

He feels that the Iraqi R.G. and other forces are not holding to the Geneva Convention. As a result of this he thinks that we should act just like the Iraqis and do the same.

I on the other hand do think we should hold our Geneva ethics, but change the way we approach fighting.

Now, keep in mind that I hate killing, I hate terrorism, I do feel to a great degree that our actions are justified, but that Sadaam is evil and we must 'see him off'.

It has been evident that apparent surrendering forces have turned out not to surrender but they return fire, and that they have been posing as civilians. So this makes it difficult to deal with saving the non-militant people does it not?

Anyway, we have a difficult situation on our hands because we do not want to kill the people we wish to liberate. What would be the point in fighting right?

So, decisions have to be made in order for us to achieve our objective. So I suggest we change our approach a bit.

The sensible thing to do is become smarter at Human IFF (Identify Friend or Foe). We must be able to 'feel out' who is BSing us and who actually wants to 'be saved'/surrender.

Unfortunately, collateral damage (I hate that term - we should just use it for all non-human losses please - why don't we call unintentional human loss of life, well let's see, how about, unintentional human loss of life.) can be expected. But because war, especially when we're smack in the middle of it, has a tendency to 'not be sensible' we have to make split second decisions with respect to knowing if we have surrenderers on our hands or IRG (Iraqi Republican Guard). To push forward in the objective, and accept that we may have to kill more of the good guys to accomplish our goal, may have to be the way it is. Now, in my heart, I hate to say that. I really do, but it seems that we are getting caught off guard, and our guys are getting killed when we possibly could have avoided it.

But then again, Geneva Convention or not, "War Happens" and war is not fair. So, on that note, in our efforts to save the good guy we might have to accept some losses of our own on their behalf. Because that is what our troops are there for right? To put their lives on the line, for our freedom.

I hope that you see my point, if I have clearly made one.

Goodnight, and have a pleasant tomorrow...

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins