Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Founding Fathers And Religion

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Randall Terrell on November 5, 2002 19:44:43 UTC

Somehow, I hate to jump into this, but I just can't resist.

There has been some previous discussion on this forum about whether the "founding fathers" of this country were "christian" or "other" (see http://www.astronomy.net/forums/god/messages/23782.shtml) and therefore whether this country (the U.S.) is "Christian Country." I've got add a few things to the debate.

This country may have been founded by men who were "Christian" or subscribed to "Christian" principles. However, the U.S. is definitively NOT a christian country.

Exhibit 1--The First Amendment.
Exhibit 2--The U.S. Senate in 1802 approved a treaty with the Barbary states that said, (and I'm paraphrasing this) "The United States is, in no way, a Christian nation." I'll add a cite to that, but the last time I found it, it was on Harvard's great books cite.

The point being, a country can be founded by men with certain principles without those principles binding the country they create. As further example, the U.S. was founded by men who were products of the "Age of Enlightenment"--does any body want to argue that we're an "enlightened" country?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins