Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Maybe, Maybe Not

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Randall Terrell on November 6, 2002 16:27:51 UTC

I responded to the "enlightened" stuff in a post below.

I'm hesitant to agree with you on these points for a couple of reasons.

"Did Jesus story inform the First Amendment." Maybe, maybe not. The First Amendment and its freedoms can be seen as a direct reaction to the policies of the King of England that were directed at suppressing the free govenment of the colonies. Free Speech and press? The crown had tried to shut down contrary voices and had imposed the stamp act. Freedom of Religion? The Church of England was the official religion. Freedom to Assemble? Many events including the Boston Massacre influenced this one. Freedom to petition. The crowns lack of response to many such attempts by the colonists to have their grievances addressed.

So its a much closer connection to say that the founding fathers created the first amendment reacting against prior oppression than inspired by the words of Jesus.

Which brings me to a different point. You mention that "Jesus" story was one of the first treasures in literature where someone may have deserved better from the powers that be. My knowledge of ancient lit is not great, but I would suggest there are more stories than just Jesus's to support that. I do like the image of Jesus as a counter-culture revolutionary--but didn't they do that in "Jesus Christ Superstar?"

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins