Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
There Is Truth In Every Religion

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott on August 30, 2002 03:07:49 UTC

Mario,

Well, a LOT of it IS historical fact--and that's in EVERY religion. A lot of it's also metaphorical, intending rely a particular
moral point--and that's also in every religion.

Every religion, be it Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, or Native American spiritualism, are all based on on a set of moral
principles. Call them common sense principles: "Helping your neighbor is good." "Killing your neighbor is bad." Even the
Greek myths (were the gods were less than perfect--quite human, in fact) set forth a set of moral principles and
philosophies--many which we recognize to this day.

These moral principles are generally collected and exemplified in collections of stories (many of which are historically based)
(some written, some not)--and from that culture, over centuries (sometimes in less time) will form from these stories and
principles a philosophy which we call a religion. While there are certainly differences between the religions, they all have the
same general goal: the belief in a positive moral code, of right and wrong.

Because, in my heart, I choose a Christian faith (actually I was born into it--but believing is still my choice)--and I feel that it's
right... Does this mean that someone who happens to be Hindu is WRONG and is going to go to hell?? NO--absolutely
NOT! You know what I think? I think that person's religion is ALSO right. That religion is every bit as right for that person as
Christianity is for me. And I'm not being politically correct. I truly believe that almost all religion is generally beautiful. EVERY
religion has as its core certain moral, ethical, and historical TRUTHS. All (more or less) coming to the same conclusion.

There's no such thing as a religion that's completely infallable--that certainly includes Christianity. But, then again, there's no
SCIENCE that's completely infallible either. Just when we think we've got it all figured out, another theory , idea, or discovery
comes along--and adds a whole new variable. Does that mean you shouldn't call yourself a scientist? Of course, you should.
Be it God or Science, it's ALL being interpreted by very fallible human beings. However, in both cases, it's the "trying to figure
it out" part which allows us to have faith.

That's what I base it on.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins