Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Agree, But We Could Be Doing Just That.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Ted Watter on July 28, 2002 19:15:53 UTC

Hey Paul,

I agree with you in taking a traditional pragmatic stance on issues and trying to actually accomplish some positive progress. Nothing would please me more than to see some seriously revolutionary ideas come out of this forum, ideas that change the world and improve the lives of all mankind. However, I think that that's exactly what we're doing.

If you examine the course of history, specifically the emergence of new and controversial ideas and theories, they are almost always marked with division and strife, often culminating in violence. Intellectual innovators like Martin Luther, Wycliff and Huss, Erasmus, Voltaire, Galilleo, Newton, and countless other innovators were persecuted for their beliefs. Wars were started and ended, countries were torn apart and unified, and the daily lives of countless people were altered forever by the advent or resolution of conflict over ideas. The 30 Years War, the American Revolution, the Cold War, and many others were started and continued based on ideological underpinnings.

In essence, our discussion here could impact the daily lives of billions of people. It could effect our educations, our behavior, our preconceptions, and almost every other facet of our lives.

I fervently believe that evolution is totally false, and it is my opinion that the teaching of it, or any unsubstantiated theory should be removed from our public schools (no, I'm not advocating the teaching of creationism). Even if that isn't your belief, I think that this discussion in and of itself, can go a long way towards ending the conflict over this issue that has effected the lives of so many.

Sincerely
Ted

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins