Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Jewish Age Of Universe

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on May 9, 2002 17:33:40 UTC

is something like 6534. That is, we are in the year 6534, but don't quote me on the year.

So you have implicitly pointed out a stupid error on my part. In my mind I had added 2002 AD to the 6534 to get the 8,000 years old universe.

I am of course incorrect and the dating of the Sarasvati River as 8,000 years or older is inconsistent with the Jewish calendar. BTW- only the orthadox branch of Judiaism claims the universe is this old. I worked with an orthadox jewish scientist at MIT who did not take any of that cosmology seriously. He just respected the traditions and claimed that most of his fellow practitioners also did so.

So the Young Earth school of thought seems to be mainly a Christian Fundamentalist notion.

My main concern with Creationists and the like is that research in science will disappear in the west as it did in Islam like 800 years ago when the fundamentalists took over. That event caused, in my opinion, the demise of Islam as a world power. Right now it seems that the Christian right is much too weak to interfere with research. The Islam right is not, but fortunately is not in power in any country where fundamental research (pun intended) is being done.

Some day I would like to ask the emperor how the speed of light is manipulated to allow us to see stars and galaxies that astronomers claim are 10 billion years old.

Regards,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins