Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Knew Brian Greene

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rowanda on June 1, 2004 00:43:32 UTC

I knew Brian Greene when he was a post-doc at Harvard in 1988-1990. He worked on string dualities then and I believe was the first to solve the 2-d duality problem exactly. What he found was that the entire universe is mapped into a circle of Planck radius. If true, and if that result csrries over into 3-d then we have the entire universe within - within what? Within every closed membrane.

Brian's early work with Paul S. Aspinwall and David R. Morrison on mirror manifolds and the like was very promising. But since then he seems to just publish with his thesis students and post-docs. Check it out for yourself at:

http://arxiv.org/find/nucl-ex,astro-ph,nucl-th,hep-ex,math-ph,hep-lat,cond-mat,physics,quant-ph,gr-qc,hep-ph,hep-th/1/au:+greene%5fbrian/0/1/0/past,all/0/1?query_id=5af5a4bae0e7e4d6&form=yes

I have not met Martin Ries. He works in cosmology rather than String Theory, and appears from his writings to be more a bridge to the commoner and a big thinker than a deep in the guts researcher.

More than just a deep in the guts researcher, Witten is the guts, and still is the record holder for the greatest number of pages published, a record than he re-establishes every month. But so far he has not overcome the fundamental weaknesses of String Theory.

He actually is not the 'Living Einstein'. Witten is a tremendous mathematician whereas Einstein was a great thinker but could not solve his own mathematical equations- someone else had to do that for him.

Just a few things to think about.

Wanda

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins