Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Scratches Vs Sleeks...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by David Gede on December 8, 2003 14:08:11 UTC

Well...to be more specific. They seem to be out near the edge. I am working an 8" piece of plate glass and the scratches (or sleeks) are all in about the outside 2 inches. They do run in multiple directions so they are happening during the session.

What is the difference between a "sleek" and a scratch? The initial scratch I am sure about, it was one straight line with a corresponding line that cut through the middle where I changed direction with the the tool. It was obvious even before the surface dried. That is the one I went back to correct the first time. All of the later "scratches" I have seen and somewhat more subtle.

What I am seeing now are small scrapes. They are not visible directly or when the glass is wet. They show when the surface is dry and held at an angle to the light source. Generally I need to moisten the surface with a breath of air to intially see them.

I am describing them as scratches becasue I don't know any better (this is my first mirror).

Thanks,
Dave

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins