Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Grit Polishing.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on December 9, 2003 19:32:30 UTC

I use lens polishing pads for the initial polish and leave the pitch to the final cleanup of the surface. As such, I can change from one polishing agent to another without any problems.
I've done initial polishing with 12 micron grit with the polishing pads and gotten a really fast polish which appeared to be of decent quality.
As to pitch, I've also used 5 micron on one occasion and gotten a fairly quick polish and just continued on with CeO to finish the polish. Pitch appears to "eat" the polishing agent after a bit of use so the grit would gradually be worked into the pitch and no longer be effective in the shaving of the glass surface to the smoothness desired.
I'll also note that I've moved from CeO to rouge for glass that was having problems with dogbiscuit (once you've seen a dogbuscuit surface, you'll know what I'm talking about) and didn't do anything but quickly wash the CeO off of the surface of the lap. The problem would go away after about 5 minutes of work with the rouge which would probably indicate how fast the pitch actually takes up the material.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins