Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re:Scratches Vs Sleeks...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rick on December 8, 2003 16:46:27 UTC

Ok, I had the same problem with my 10". but at the 5m stage mostly,though I did have it happen at the 12m too, after asking questions and recieving answers I believe my problem was in going from one grit to the next too soon, the tool and blank were not perfectly matched and this was causing the scratches or sleeks,also when making to long a stroke these sleeks would appear, so it could be that, but it is one or the other or both, (hope this is understandable).
You also need to keep the works damp, if it drys during the wet you get the same results.
At the 12m stage you total stroke lenght should be short, I have been told that at the 5m stage a 1/2" stroke was all that is needed,though I gave up on the 5m and made pitch lap after 12m was done.
if you think your strokes might be a tad long, try shorter ones, have a spray bottle to keep the work wet,and dont rush going to the next grit size, do some extra wets to insure tool and blank are well mated.
Remember at this small size of grit it does not take much to create the problem.

=====
Rick M
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AllAstronomyAllTheTime

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins