Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Maybe You Use A Narrower Definition Of Science Than Me

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on June 22, 2001 02:50:11 UTC

"Science tries not deal with any phenomenon which cannot be quantified and measured."

Mostly because any phenomenon which cannot be quantified and measured is by its nature subjective and cannot be considered scientific fact. Although by "science" I think you mean a narrower definition than I usually do: physics, mathematics, etcetera. There are sciences that do indulge in subjectivity often, such as psychology and sociology that maybe can give you some of the answers you look for from spirituality.

"Some questions that science has failed to answer satisfactorily (at least in my firm opinion) are the origin of life, the nature of consciousness, human nature, and the reason for sleep."

Origin of Life: Yeah, but they're working on it. :) I see no real alternatives to science to find this out.

Nature of Consciousness: What do you mean by this exactly? My personal *OPINION* is that consciousness is more or less an illusion, an amalgamation of various homeostatic impulses into a central processing unit. But I admit it's just a suspicion and I wouldn't claim it to be valid. What do YOU suspect consciousness is, Paul?

Human Nature: Again, psychology is probably the best way to find answers in this regard.

Reason for Sleep: If we don't sleep, we die. :)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins