Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Science

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on June 23, 2001 00:48:24 UTC

I realize that science is flawed (one thing that has consistently surprised me about science is the lack of investigation to prove/disprove an afterlife, but nevermind) but I think that that is less a problem with science than a problem with the SCIENTISTS. As a method of discovering truth, I see no problems with science whatsoever. Just some of the people involved with it that allow subjectivity to seep into their calculations. (assuming it is not a subjective investigation)

"I see something green. I have an experience of 'greenness' which I can't describe."

I don't neccesarily see this as a problem; the answer I think MIGHT be right probably won't sound good, but tell me what you think: When I feel pain, I have a feeling of pain that I can't describe. When I stumble, I have a feeling of falling I can't describe. But, I can describe things more objective: distance, time, etcetera.

I think the difference is one of biology: the processes in our minds that deal with our most basic sensations (color, for instance) has been with life forms for eons. The earlier life that had color receptors had no way of quantifying this data with their primitive brains, and that wiring was passed on down to us, who now have the mental capacity to describe color but are physically incapable of it.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins