Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Consciousness

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on June 23, 2001 22:25:22 UTC

"I think our ability to quantify and deduce plays a very recent and very small role in human behavior."

Maybe with regard to scientists and Joe Schmoe, but even something simple like taking a weekly paycheck and multiplying it by 52 to find an annual salary requires a kind of cognitive skill not found in nature very often.

"What we haven't done as yet is to break free from similar chains preventing us from examining subjective phenomena."

The inherent problem here is this: Is it possible to objectively investigate subjective phenomena? I don't know.

"do we mean this mysterious consciousness that seems to accompany it?"

Where is this mysterious force? Though we cannot describe the sensation of pain, we can descibe the process. Receptors in our skin send electrical impulses to dendrites, which travel to the cell body, through the axon to a spinal nerve, which then sends the signal to the brain where it is interpreted and projected back to its original location. I see no need of any external force to describe this, it's all self supporting.

I think that consciousness' origins has been traced to a group of cells in the cerebral cortex. If there is an external force resulting in consciousness, wouldn't you expect the human brain to be lacking in the physical functions needed to produce consciousness independently? If a soul does exist, it seems to have made its life mission never to be found. Same goes for God.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins