Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: Legitimate Questions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by GwynJ on January 25, 2001 01:26:29 UTC

:) Re: my husband's promises vs. God's - I don't think my honey would claim his promises are more valid than God's, but if one chooses to believe a human's word, that's their choice.

Re: your "God's promise consists of nothing more than a warm and fuzzy feeling." maybe you need to switch gods? if one doesn't have a real knowledge/faith in god, then i'm not sure they can describe with accuracy that which they prefer not to/have yet to witness. the promises i have are much more than that. :)

This was great, you complimented me on something i confused you with, what's with that? haha what i MEANT when i said, "Perhaps the nature of the universe does NOT seem to require a creator(*your statement), but I would think evidence of a creator would require at least a universe. " the last part: if god's gonna be god, and a creator especially, there's gotta be one hell of a science project to back it up, right?

Why do people think the faith argument holds water? Do not scientists also live by faith, the surety that there IS SOMETHING MORE to be found if we JUST keep at it? that, too, is faith (at least in my perception). no one has passion in a study if they are sure they know all there is to know. only fools thrive on idleness and boredom; no one i know does!

Re: your "If I had the utmost faith that there is an alien spaceship behind the Hale-Bopp comet, does that have equal claim to truth as your faith, no matter how ridiculous?" you mean there ISN'T an alien spaceship? can you prove it?

Re: "The faith argument has always ALWAYS struck me as a safety net for believers..." Me, too, dearie. til i became convinced. which is maybe what makes some folks afraid, because THEN what do you do to explain the 360 in belief from just the other day? but, come hell or high water, there it is. i didn't invent it, so i can't explain it. and it's not like it's been an easier life because of it. but i wasn't looking for easier, either, so no disappointment there.

While your "I have a greater chance of living 10 more years than Strom Thurmond" may SOUND more realistic, again, on what do you base your, er, 'faith' that that is a sound statement? :)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins