Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Legitimate Questions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on January 24, 2001 03:26:39 UTC

Most important things first, SETI is the Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence. Probably requires as much faith as religion.

Now to the other points:

"had there been no bible that stated the promise that all men would come to know of Him, i might've thought my belief a delusion, my hope unfounded. But it promises also He'll be with each person, so i have reason to believe based on promises kept, and not just my imagination. "

The Old Testament is a collection of ancient stories verbally passed down through generations. Try playing a millenium-long-game of telephone and you'll see what I mean. The Gospels were written several decades after Jesus' death and they differ on many points. Do you think the authors never imbellished at all? Not to mention how much you no doubt lose from the original Bible after translation from Hebrew. Not the most reliable source if you ask me.

"This is where faith comes in. My husband says he'll love me forever, and because he's stayed allied with me, I can trust his words. So, if I can trust his, all the more I can trust that of my creator. "

Apples and oranges. Your husband made a real, tangible promise to you. God's promise consists of nothing more than a warm and fuzzy feeling. Could this be a human creation?

"When a person is accused of murder, the opportunity, the motive, and the tool are linked together to build the fact there was intent behind it (or probability of intent). See what I'm getting at? "

I'll give you that. Let's say your luck was positively uncanny all your life. Is this an argument for God's existence? Perhaps. However I could also use it to argue for your sunconscious telekinetic and telepathic powers to influence things to go your way. Maybe you unlocked the other 90% of your brain! See what I'm going for here? When you want to believe you accept any proof, no matter how ambiguous.

"Perhaps the nature of the universe does NOT seem to require a creator, but I would think evidence of a creator would require at least a universe. "

That sounds pretty good! I also have no idea what it means! ;)

"nature alone does not indicate an afterlife; it is faith in promises kept to me which builds my trust that there is. which is pretty miraculous, given i wasn't always on this wavelength. "

Why do people think the faith argument holds water? If I had the utmost faith that there is an alien spaceship behind the Hale-Bopp comet, does that have equal claim to truth as your faith, no matter how ridiculous? The faith argument has always ALWAYS struck me as a safety net for believers to fall back into when it comes to theological arguments.

"your having "plenty of time to mull this over, seeing as I'm only 18"; with all due respect, what little bird told you you have plenty of time in a world where fatal accidents claim young lives every day? "

Fair enough, I will amend my statement: "I have a greater chance of living 10 more years than Strom Thurmond." Better? :)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins