Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Is God Really Perfect?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Grétar on October 30, 2000 11:51:36 UTC

God is said by scriptures to be all-knowing and all-powerfull. He is described as perfect and that directly implies there can be no better.
Unfortunatly, since he created the world, this cannot be true.

There are 4 "ways" of creating things:
1 By accident
2 By mistake
3 By need
4 By desire

1 and 2 can be ruled out straight away because a perfect beeing does not make mistakes or accidents.
A need is some unfullfilled condition reminding about itself. Hunger is need for food. Imperfect nutrition condition reminding about itself. Since God is perfect, he does not have needs. Therefore we can rule out option 3.

That leaves us with option number 4, Desire.
Since need is unlike a desire in its practical value. Desires do not sustain or enterprise anything of really practical value, they are simply longings for something that is unnecissary
and therefor are divided from need. Since desires have no practical value they are, frankly, a waste of time, power or whatever else required to fullfil that desire. Whatever reason God might have for creating the universe is therefore not practical and I am afraid a perfect beeing would not do impractical things. Rule out number 4.

I am afraid this leaves us in an awkvard position. Either God did not create the universe or he is not perfect. Which one of those statements is true I will leave to other discussions.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins