Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
You Can Believe In God And Still Leave "miracles" Out

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Hilbert Space on November 2, 2004 22:30:44 UTC

Duane,

You said: God has many attributes and reality is designed for us to find what we wish to find.
So in a way He gives us the part of Him that we desire (and practice toward Him) most.

If I understand you correctly, God is something of an ad hoc reflection of the human mind if He is what our hopes and desires require Him to be (I wouldn't disagree with you there since I think that the biblical God was created by man to fulfill human needs).

I see the scriptures, like the oracle's prophecies, as having enough interpretive ambiguity to make such slipperiness possible -- but if you can make such provisional interpretations of God's word, then why bother sticking to such a rigid interpretation of Genesis?

I'm not defending "Christian science", but as the "meme" of theism has evolved (under the selective pressures of a prevailingly scientific "environment"), at least some theistically-minded scientists have retreated to the more defensible position that Genesis is less literal truth as it is allegory and metaphor.

Even better, if you accept the scientific theory of evolution (including cosmological evolution) and push the hand of God back to before the Big Bang -- in other words, if you argue that God exists as First Cause and abandon the (indefensible) notion of young-earth creationism -- then at least you have a bona-fide ontological argument that (as far as I know) can stand up to any philosophical scrutiny.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins