Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
"Feelings" VS. "Facts"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Phil.O.Sofir on June 6, 2000 02:16:09 UTC

I have been thinking alot about those times when I was absolutely sure that I had a close personal relationship with God, those being many years ago.
It was a very peaceful and secure feeling, to go through life with the knowledge that I was special in this ultimate beings eyes, and at other times it was very exciting, indeed, in some cases almost orgasmic, and self esteem was steel.
However, over time I began to desire a deeper knowledge, this thing was so great, there must be more to it than only belief/acceptance. To my disappointment, I found nothing other than a system of manmade rules which are designed to satisfy the majority, religion in a psychological method for achieving relative happiness in an unsure and sometimes seemingly cruel world.
I eventually came to this conclusion while at the same time realizing that if you do not use these systems, you are basically out on your own to develop you own personalized system, which is much easier to do in todays world of sience and technology than it was for the earlier athiests.
Indeed, it is hard even today to set up your own system in the face of a still tremendous social insistance on the agknowedgement of a belief in at least some form of supreame being (GOD).
I have found very little in the way of support, most through casual comments secondary to other issues, and mostly on this forum, thanks! :)
I have taken the issue into my education as this was a very (T)dramatic experiance for me, but I am still very glad I pursued it to its conclusion.
I guess I am asking believers for the proof they use in thier own system of personal salvation.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins