Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Oh Me, Oh My

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on May 23, 2003 17:17:13 UTC

~~"The point is trying to understand, not trying to discover the truth."~~

If you're not trying to discover the truth, then what exactly are you trying to understand?

~~"The truth is that your car is "your car" for as long as you and others think so. Saying that cars do not really exist, only parts do, doesn't explain what makes your car "your car". "~~

This is precisely what I was talking about. What makes my car "my car"? The same thing that makes me "me". Me. Which means, in essence, that the identity of your car, just as the identity of yourself, is based entirely within your own mind and thus cannot be externalized to declare some inviolate "I".

~~"Why does anything have to survive reductionism? Because reductionism is true?"~~

Reductionism can't be *true* any more than science can be true. Reductionism and science aren't statements of reality in themselves, rather they are approaches that lead to statements of reality. I cannot see why reductionism would lead to untrue statements. Can you? We're talking pure, simple logic here.

~~"Does that mean that terms like "red" or "lake" really have no meaning then?"~~

They are terms that we use to describe real objects or phenomena. To that extent, they have "meaning." What I'm arguing is that the universe does not discriminate between red and orange: the distinction that we draw between the two is entirely human and externally rather meaningless. The same can apply to identity.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins