Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Arguing With You Is Always A Unique Experience

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on May 23, 2003 19:07:29 UTC

~~"Have you ever been conscious of nothing?"~~

This is an interesting question. To a certain extent I think that the phrase "I am conscious of nothing" to be a logical absurdity, right up there with "I do not exist," since the word "I" seems to require a degree of consciousness. I have experienced the phenomenon you're talking about, but I wouldn't call it being conscious of nothing. Being conscious of nothing is something I equate with oblivion, the state my "consciousness" was in before I was born. Lying there with an empty head is something I'd call extremely sedate consciousness or near-unconsciousness.

~~"I once argued with someone that there was more to my ideas than the words I was saying."~~

I experience the same thing all the time, though I really try not to; I hate it when it happens. Whenever I know I'm right but I can't express it in words, I force myself to pause and reflect. More often than not it turns out to be some bias or error on my part.

~~"something other than logic is required to decide which is true and which is false."~~

Evidence? Or intuition? Which do you prefer? (or need I ask?)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins