Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Self-sustaining Universe

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Harvey on October 25, 2002 15:52:09 UTC

Mario,

I moved our topic to the top:

***Harv: "Science doesn't know what sustains the universe, so we cannot assume (as Mario's statement assumed) that the universe operates without God." Mario: I don't believe that God doesn't exist. That would be an illogical thing to do. I simply think that a self-sustaining universe best fits the observations.***

I didn't think that you were denying God's existence. However, saying what sustains the universe is not a scientific question, it is a philosophical question. First of all, how could you even validate or invalidate a proper sustaining force to keep the universe in line? There would always be the question whether that explanation was true, and the explanation of that explanation were true, and so on. It is purely a philosophical stance.

And, as a philosophical stance, there is no assumption which can easily be assumed true. We might be in a position to treat it as a good philosophical assumption, but as I stated, the philosophical argument is not so convincing for a self-sustaining material universe. Even Alexander denied a self-sustaining material universe. He thought that mathematical logic was what sustained the material universe.

The question is wide-open for debate. I'm not saying that God sustaining the material universe is required for making science consistent with our observations, but it certainly conforms to our scientific observations and does so in a manner which is parsimonious, at least in my opinion.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins