Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Moral Secularists

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on November 4, 2002 13:50:15 UTC

Hi Yanniru,

***Harv- Hope I am correct in saying that you include the supernatural as part of god.***

I agree that supernaturalism is an aspect of belief in God, but it is not necessary to be a supernaturalist to believe in God.

***In spite of my belief in the supernatural, what Harvey calls god, it seems to me that scientifically grounded, moral secularists are much more ethical on the average than religious people. Afterall, religious people are ultimately behaving for purely selfish reasons- to please god and be saved.***

It depends on the individual. There are many old ladies who go to their local church who would run circles around any Plato's among us. However, I have met many, many morally-impaired religious people. And, I have met many, many strong morally grounded secularists. The issue, for me, isn't what happens on a college campus, the issue is what happens on main street. Secularism at a societal level can perhaps work under more stability on a college campus, but I am still of the opinion that a world of secular college grads would ultimately find that they have failed to meet the soulful needs of huamn society.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins