Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Notes On Some Messages Below

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Tön/">Tön on January 8, 1999 22:34:45 UTC

: One issue raised was that of near death experiences. These experiences seem profound and change many peoples attitudes about death. Several people who experience this say they no longer fear death. However, many scientists who study these experiences are coming to the conclusion that they are more like dreams than some sort of spiritual experience. These experiences could be the last thoughts of the brain as it readies to shut down forever. Or they could be spiritual, but I see no reason to believe they are.

: Has anybody ever noticed that most, if not all, religions deal with your "soul" after you die. But none of them offer any explanation about a "Soul" before you were born. I am so curious as to how this Soul somehow didn't exist before birth, so it was created by matter, if it is created at conception. But when the matter dies that created it, it continues to live. This is a contradiction that seems very disturbing to me and many other people. But nobody seems to wonder because it doesn't matter if you existed before birth, but after death is very important. This issue needs debate and I think the religious community has the obligation to address concerns like this.

: H ___________

I think we don't really care as a specie. What concerns us is to maintain the consciousness we'ved experienced or care to know as truth, reality. This shows that our lives are so physical and that what we only know of is all we can grasp. That being memory. Even that fails us sometimes. Usually the concern people have regarding death is "will I remember, will I be myself".

It's had to imagine a self before birth or even after. In the end, what should concern us is not the birth or the death but the life we live at the present. Who are we kidding. We'll never know the answers.

Their is an Ancient Sumerian quote on this subject, let me share it with you. "What you seek, you never find. For when the Gods created man, death be his life. Eternal life they withheld. Let your everyday be filled with joy. Love the child that holds your hand, let your wife delight in your embrace. For these alone are the concerns of humanity."

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins