Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Force Behind Religion

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by nåte/">nåte on January 12, 1999 01:13:37 UTC

: : : : So, could it be a resonable statement that the driving force behind religion is a search for life after death. Whether it be reincarnate religions or monotheistic religions such as Christianity, Islam, and Judeoism or polytheistic religions such as ancient Roman and Greek (what we now know at mythology, funny how time treats these things) or Egyptian religion. They all have one unifying characterisitc, they provide an answer for the unexplicable. Could it be that all religions fall with time, and Christianity will fallow in line. Of course, in the Middle East I would offend more people if I said Islam, and in Asia Budhism, and in India Hindu.

: : H

: ___________________

: Absolutely. They are all created to answer our very human questions and insecurities. I could say thay we cannot live without them.

Let me suggest that if they are all created by man, for man to have answers to his questions, then doesn't it presuppose itself? If man creates them, why are they then answers? Sounds like relative subjectivism.

I believe that any 'truth' that claims truth must be tested in an objective manor. Otherwise we have substantiated religious pluralism as an 'all okay for me, so all okay for you' mentality.

Christianity has truth claims... yes... It also has historic validity to back up those truth claims.

Christianity is a historic document, unlike many philosophies that are based on pure feelings and little documentation of verifiable facts.

: I pose the question then. If life is all we have, how would we live it?? Would we be indulgent and reckless or would we be careful and appreciative. Sometimes the promise of life after death seems to make us take life for ourselves, everyone, and everthing for granted.

I will answer the posed question.

If life in the here and now was all there was, then I would say, "eat drink and be marry"... For what purpose would there be to do otherwise?

It is for this very notion that people can and do take this attitude. Likewise, it is also true that people sense that there is something much more than themselves living in the here and now. Life seems to have a purpose. And because of this, man tries to reach out. "Seeking to find what he is looking for, but finding only what he seeks". Man is confined, in his own nature, to be drawn into himself. To find meaning in what he WANTS to find.

"Running from the Truth, denying its existance"...

: We are guaranteed at this moment that we have life and what goes beyond that can be anything or nothing. We'll never really know.

: Clergies and temples come and go but the need for answers continue. It's always just a matter of time.

Yes, you said it well... And it will always be a matter of endless time because of man's rebellion towards the Alpha and Omega.

Peace be with you, Godbless...

: Tön

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins