Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Me...a Relativist? Dont Think So...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by nåte/">nåte on January 14, 1999 01:39:03 UTC

: Relativism is rediculous. There surely is objective truth and most educated people agree with this. The problem is, what is the truth. If you believe the bible holds the truth, than thats your belief. I simply think your wrong. I do not think it can be true for some and not for others as you suggested. Most Christians seem to pick parts of the bible that they like and follow those, while dismissing the areas that are outdated, such as much of Genesis. And for those people, I argue that once the book loses credibility in one area, it most be closely scrutinized in all areas. If you are a Christian Fundamentalist and take this "historical document" as you labeled it to its absolute meaning, than I respect your beliefs. I simply disagree and maintain it is thought of by man, written by man, edited by man, translated by man, and read by man. And that there is no difference between this book and other religious books "inspired by god" as you suggest. Any argument you can come up with to support Christianity as "correct" vs. the other religions, they can come up with the same argument reversed.

: H

I think you have misunderstood me.

I do not give validation to rationalism whatsoever. I likewise never mentioned; "true for some, not for others"... this is the rationalist mindset, which I do not possess.

Belief in God is a natural response to an innate awareness of God that God Himself placed in the human psyche. C.S. Lewis and a few others have pointed out that every natural desire exhibited by human beings is a manifestation of a real and necessary human need. We crave spiritual fulfillment because God has placed this desire in us, just as we crave love and affection because it is in our nature to recieve it. It is logical to assume that if we possess a natural desire for something in which the world offers no fulfillment, there is something outside the world that will fulfill it. We will have no longings that are unfulfillable, including spiritual longing.

Let me quote the late John Carnell.. he said it well:

"Something inside cries out against the conclusion that a purpose-seeking man has been hatched by a purposeless universe. The urge may be ill founded; it may have to be disqualified. Yet, there it is: Our heart tells us that there are destinies at stake in this life. We cannot eradicate this voice. Wisdom dictates, therefore, that before one decides whether or not this witness is trustworthy, a thorough investigation be conducted; lest through either oversight or default an everlasting loss in the soul be sustained."

The Christian worldview sets itself apart from all world religions and philosophies whether we choose to believe in that or not.

The Christian worldview is verified to the highest level of certainty possible by historical, legal, scientific, and rational evidence. Christianity is the only religion that is grounded on historical facts; facts that can be checked out. It alone, among the worlds religions, can verify its truth-claims with concrete, objective, and nonbiblical evidence.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins