Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Immediately Following. Yes, Of Course We May Differ.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on July 28, 2002 03:18:14 UTC

Hi Mike,

When I wrote "in exactly the spirit you outline in your post" I should have followed it with a colon because the spirit I referred to is the spirit of the quote immediately following which I enclosed in exclamation points for emphasis.

***One of you has experience with this school of thought...do both of you?***

No. Not I.

Although I think that the history of ideas is fascinating, and probably rewarding to study, I don't think that by continuing in the tradition of "all the high-minded "debate" in the past 2,500 years" will serve us well at this point. What is unique about our time is that science has revealed a considerable amount of the truth of how the universe operates. Enough so that we may use that knowledge to solve all the old pressing problems that plagued humanity. These problems were provision of food, shelter from the elements, protection against predators and disease. Science has solved those problems in large part.

We now face different problems, and they are in large part due to man's inhumanity to man. I think the reason for it is because of vestiges of strategies that were necessary for survival before those other problems were solved. But now that they have been solved, those vestigial strategies cause more harm than good. Some examples of these are greed, competition, and excessive propagation.

What I am saying is that we should forget about analyzing and comparing traditional religious tenets and viewpoints and instead use our intellects to analyze our current situation knowing what we know at this point in history, determine what our major problems are, and devise agreeable strategies to solve those problems.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins