Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Hand The Reins Of Power To The Best Formula Rhetoric?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Whittier on July 28, 2002 04:03:05 UTC

Hi again,
Just here to annoy you again.:)

You wrote:
"Although I think that the history of ideas is fascinating, and probably rewarding to study, I don't think that by continuing in the tradition of "all the high-minded "debate" in the past 2,500 years" will serve us well at this point.."
and went on to talk about science etc....

My knowledge of history of ideas does more than reward me. It allows me to detect b.s. much in the same way science does. If you remember,
the founder of modern chemistry was taken from this life by a revolution where the leaders only
declared their intention of creating a better world. ( Lavoisier died in the Reign of Terror
after the French Revolution. )

Glenn, who is anonymous, is posting rhetoric assembled by centuries of "scouting." You are endorsing the phrases which do not have strong legal weight. Of course, what I have said is probably not being made law either. But his statements are MOSTLY posing and preening about
nicey-nicey...somewhat like speeches by Maoist Cultural Revolutionists were, I suppose! And I am not contemptuous of what he's saying so much as the fact that, in response to what I said, he simply posts two or three feet more of the party line, and it's odd that he should so patronize us and imply that "being conscious" was invented by
his religion! Buddha said,"I am not a God. I am simply awake!" Well, somebody IS a God. Because somebody got us to the Moon and Mars. Somebody fed the billions. All our lives are so comfortable. And the universe is so vast.
Buddha's last day ended after a good meal and he died of natural causes. That's very respectable. I don't require violent revolution. But our gentle scientists have, again and again, been victims of "group-think." I don't want an official Buddhism. I want to hear from an Individual Buddha. Have you read the book, Siddhartha, by the way? Paul or Glenn? Anyone?
The meeting between the ascetic young man, Siddhartha and the Teacher, Siddhartha Gautama, is
a fine departure point for reverie on the subject...including their subsequent paths!

Miek

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins