Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Obsequious

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on November 30, 1999 23:52:16 UTC

If pursuit of understanding and knowledge are "sinful" then, so am I. That's why I'm here on this forum, and I'd assume that's why you're here as well, or is it simply to win people over to Christ's side?

One of my objections to religion is that it makes us ashamed of being who we are. The idea that each of us is born sinful, and imperfect and there's nothing we can do about it. This creates a sense of unnecessary guilt in something we have no control over. We're human, and we're fallible. Presumably, the loving God of which you speak should understand that. Say that I made a mistake, and believing the overwhelming evidence provided by science, and my own logic, led be to believe that God didn't exist. Would God then punish me for it, simply because I was mislead?

Believe me. I've looked. I'm an ex-Christian, and I've found that it wasn't for me. Since, I've also researched other world religions, and have not found salvation in them. Indeed salvation is found by doing what one loves in this world, by bettering mankind. What can I say. I've been the kind of person that questions things (God, capitalism, ethics). Your sort of argument seems to try to make me ashamed about the fact that I question things. Would a loving God not have extended a warm hand in showing me what to believe? Would that be detrimental to my free will? I don't see why. I'm an athiest because I've asked why, and found my own answers. In return, God has shown me a deaf ear. That's why I don't believe in this counter productive superstitious mumbo jumbo.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins