Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
One More Thing

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on December 6, 1999 22:26:07 UTC

Do you have kids Earl? If you do, one day, tell them this and see what happens: "Kids, this is my mysterious secret basement room, that's... FORBIDDEN. Don't go down there. You can go anywhere else in the house, but not there." And that's it, don't tell them why it's bad or what's down there and see what happens. I'll bet, that eventually, human curiosity will prevail, and they'll want to see what's really down there. When they do, would you punish and discipline them so harshly as God did just for disobeying you? I wouldn't, that's how kids learn. Through experience. You might say that Adam and Eve were created perfect, but they must not have been so perfect if they were fooled right? Humans that could not be fooled are obviously more perfect than ones that could be fooled. Why didn't God create these such humans (especially knowing that he banished Satan to earth. Gee, that wasn't very all knowing of God to be so absentminded as to overlook such a detail, now was it?) And let's say that after Adam and Eve did this, why could God not rectify it? Right then and there, he could have said, "okay, you made a mistake. I'm all knowing and compassionate. I understand. So, here you go, here's your immortality back in paradise again, free of suffering. Hope you learned your lesson." But of course he doesn't do that. That would be too easy. Instead, he expels his "children" who he supposedly loves very dearly, to fend for themselves, cursed to be sinful beings. Is that the actions of a parent? Does this story really make sense? It's one of those "how the camel got it's hump" stories. It's supposed to explain why humans are imperfect. I seriously doubt that it's literally true however.

I'm asserting that much of the bible is like this. It's not supposed to be exactly 100% true, otherwise it wouldn't be so ridden with contradictions. It's a reflection of the perception of humans and God in a time where humans hadn't developed sufficient science and technology (which of course you'd ascribe to be evil). If you don't accept logic, than any kind of argumentation is useless, because that's what an argument is: using logic to persuade/get your point across.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins