Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Proof That God Did Not Write The Bible

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Richard Ruquist on May 28, 2002 15:58:16 UTC

Let's assume that god is consistent and does not make mistakes, especially on something as important as the ten commandments which he supposedly wrote himself on stone tablets.

The Ten Commandments are given twice in the Hebrew Bible, called the Torah, once in Deuteronmy and once in Leviticus. I do not remember Chapter and verse, but could find it if interested and you cannot find it yourself.

The point is that the fist time we see the Ten Commandments written in the bible, the first commandment says: "You shall have no other god before me"

But the second time it says: "Hear o' Israel, the Lord your god, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your god with all your heart, and with all your soul and with all your might...." It goes on to say when to do this and to teach it to your children.

Now if this were written by god, the first commandment should be the same in both places. My conclusion, if we presume that there was but one tablet containing the first commandment, is that the bible was written by Rabbis and not god.

Now let's suppose that god did actually mean to have two versions of the ten commandments. Well then I would suppose that in his foresight, he would intend one for the Jews and the other for the Gentiles. My only problem with that is that in summarizing the commandments, Jesus referred to the one that starts- Hear O' Israel...".

So how do you resolve these questions?

Regards,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins