Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Am Supposed To Be Courteous?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on June 3, 2002 22:38:30 UTC

You guys really flair my temper and somehow I'm supposed to be courteous. Okay, let me try real hard.

***Why should my tax dollars go to support your religion? That is what it is nd no ammount of saying YOU ARE WRONG will be able to convince me other wise.***

Your tax dollars should go to supporting science since our society as a whole appreciates the advances that science has brought to our nation. I think it's a safe bet that without science the United States would not be a superpower. Our military power would be equivalent to the Sudan who's population isn't too far removed from our population (i.e., assuming hand to hand combat).

In addition, we probably couldn't feed our current population without the scientific advances we've inherited since the Middle Ages. You or I wouldn't even be here to discuss these issues (let alone having an internet to make this communication possible).

***Every time they claim to find something it eventually becomes a mistake or the theory "needs" correction or it was a fake.***

Yeah, absolute knowledge is a little hard to come by.

***Any evidence which you can persent can easliy be turned on you and presented as creationist evidence. Try me.***

I'm sure you could make up all sorts of funny ideas. The issue is that they would all be wrong and no where near being an approximate description of nature.

***Oh and claims that God can't be part of science, just don't make sense. If he made the universe then shouldn't he be part of science?***

Generally, God is outside of scientific scrutiny because (1) we don't have a solid definition of God, (2) science is about theoretical predictions and it is difficult to make theological predictions that are reliably confirmed by science, and (3) the universe is natural from what we can determine, and all attempts to find supernaturalism in effect are either in question or completely vacuous. That doesn't mean that God is completely outside of science, but rather it means that we should approach God in faith and not with our microscopes in hand.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins