Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
As Always...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on May 28, 2002 15:36:30 UTC

"Our genes are perfect."

"I said that? I said that OUR genes are perfect? No, I said that Adam and Eve's genes were perfect."

Yes you did, here is what you said.

"Because initally our genes were perfect"

Here is the post address.

http://www.astronomy.net/forums/god/messages/17870.shtml

"I beleive God included these because he knew after the fall (when Adam and Eve ate the apple), that mutations would start occuring."

Is that a scientific arguement, or one that is based on your faith? I am not sure that you understand the difference, so you don't have to answer. BTW, That is sound biology!! Eve ate the apple so mutations began happening. We should call that the mutational Eve hypothesis!! We could test it by sending a Saint from the Vatican to the garden of eden and let her eat an apple to see if it would create a spontaneous mutation. Hogwash!! Not the least bit scientific and if you continue to argue this point it weakens your stance. Maybe your science "teacher" could explain to you better the NATURE of science.

"No, but you can obviously get a rottweiler and a poodle from a common ancestor."

Yes, and you just agreed with my last post. We all (humans) came from a common ancestor, Adam and Eve. Thank you.

I never agreed to such blatant drivel!! Adam and Eve, in my opinion are not real people. To take a line from the creationist rhetoric - Were you there to see Adam and Eve born and created? No, eh? Well then it didn't happen!! Ha, I win - sound familiar.

"Is there a chronilogical begining on the evolutionary timescale? If there was, what started it?"

Chronologically speaking, I believe that there was a beginning to life on an evolutionary timescale. My views conincide with current theories on the origins of life on this plant. I happen to subscribe to the belief that the first self-replicating protocells might have originated in the deep parts of the ocean gathering energy through chemosynthesis. Is that a fact? No, it is a theory.

What started it, you ask. Many theories are on the books regarding this question. If you are looking for me to say that God did it, I would say yes and no. Philosophically and theologically speaking I would say that "God" played a part in life orginating on this planet. In some unknown way - I believe this. Scientifically I would say no way. Why? Because science searches for answers to questions with tangible, observable, empirical evidence. God is none of these (in science), but all of these (with regards to faith) at the same time. You have been let down by your Sunday school teachers that let you believe in a God that has human qualities and traits. God is so much more than that, at least to me it is. Maybe God is just a personal belief system that you cannot impose on anyone else, either way I do not subscribe to your beliefs regarding God.

"Even though almost all home-schoolers have better grades than the public school system and generally do very well in life, people are worried we don't get enough 'socialization'. It's the stupidest thing I ever heard."

At least you are not bitter about it!! Any test scores to validate your statements? I have no doubt that home schooled kids are better than a kid whose parents are dope addicts, pedaphiles, wife beaters, criminals, and the sort. Those kids are generally not home schooled. I will give you that. What about just "normal" families that love their childern, help with homework, and talk to their kids about their problems - you are better and smarter than them? It is my experience that most home school families are elistist people who feel superior because of their strong opinions and beliefs. I think you are reaffirming my statements with your behavior in this forum.

"In otherwords why did this universe start at all?
Shouldn't there be a scientific answer to that?"

Science can attempt to answer the question, but that doesn't mean it will be able to. Any theory they come up with will be immediately blasted by you and your kind anyway - so why do you care? You've already closed your mind to anything else and will always be able to say, "God did it" - no matter what the evidence suggests. In my opinion, science will never be able to absolutely pinpoint the reason or purpose of existence. That is a personal philosophy. You are ignorant of the difference between science and belief/opinion/philosophy/idealogy.

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins