Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Yet Again...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Sam Patterson on May 28, 2002 14:46:19 UTC

"Lets look at the statement you made."

"Our genes are perfect."

I said that? I said that OUR genes are perfect? No, I said that Adam and Eve's genes were perfect.

"1. Why then do we have so many repairing mechanisms in our DNA? Mutations arise all the time in our replication and transcription processes. If our genes were perfect, why include mechanisms to fix problems?"

I beleive God included these because he knew after the fall (when Adam and Eve ate the apple), that mutations would start occuring.

"2. You still contend that a human being is put together better than a watch - false! We have watches that are water proof, weather proof, sun proof, and possibly war proof - can this be said of human genetics. We have people dying from being too hot or cold. Humans are fragile and our DNA has mechanisms to fix problems, but not all of them. Our genes have never been perfectly adapted to their environment, in my opinion."

I believe I said more complex than a watch. This is a ridiculous comparison you made. Of course a watch is more protected than we are, but it is not living! It does not have so many complex operations going on at once, and it, well........It isn't alive!!

By the way, you never addressed this:

Imagine this, in the year 2175, all men and women are seven feet tall. Now they will not have children who are short. Would that be a loss of genetic information?

"We could take a watch and DESIGN it too withstand all possible problems that could arise. Why didn't your designer do the same?"

He did. You seem to see only the bad in the human. We have been around 6,000 years, and lived
in every enviroment on earth (Almost all, anyway). The first several generations on earth lived almost a millenium, but after the flood that changed. Our atmosphere changed drastically, and the length of life went down as well.

"No, but you can obviously get a rottweiler and a poodle from a common ancestor."

Yes, and you just agreed with my last post. We all (humans) came from a common ancestor, Adam and Eve. Thank you.

"You still think the evolution requires an elephant to give birth to a rat! That is ridiculous and nobody is contending that."

I don't think elephants give birth to rats. And I don't think evolution says that they do. Why do you think I think this? No one is contending it, and neither am I.

"I hope that home schooling has prepared you for real social situations where real people will be conversing about real topics."

This is why I never mentioned my education before. For some reason, people think that I never have real 'social situations'. Is this a real topic? Am I arguing well? Even though almost all home-schoolers have better grades than the public school system and generally do very well in life, people are worried we don't get enough 'socialization'. It's the stupidest thing I ever heard. Sorry, I kinda got off subject, but this makes me mad. And it takes alot to make me mad.

You didn't answer these either:

I think you should be able to answer this scientifically if you believe in evolution:

"Is there a chronilogical begining on the evolutionary timescale? If there was, what started it?"

In otherwords why did this universe start at all?
Shouldn't there be a scientific answer to that?

KC2GWX 73's

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins