Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Must Give You Credit

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on May 8, 2002 02:19:26 UTC

Rarely do I find a fundamentalist who is capable of making a somewhat coherent argument. You're still wrong, though. :)

Wrong Mt. St. Helens, Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Floods, Land slides, Sink holes, etc...

True, but in those cases, we see evidence of extremely violent events, such as explosions. We could likely go to Krakatoa twenty million years from now and tell that what transpired there was due to violent events, not gradual. We see no such evidence for cataclysmic events with the Grand Canyon.

a fast river produces steep walls and a straight river, but a slow river produces low angled walls and a lot of curves. The Grand canyon shouldn't exist, also even with millions of year the Colorado just doesn't have enough power to create the canyon.

What? Why? Are you telling me that a fast river doesn't curve? I find little logic in this statement. But I will assume it is true for the sake of argument, though I find it dubious.

With regard to the Colorado river not being powerful enough: well sure, not now, silly. There's a huge artificial dam in the way (Glen Canyon) Upon looking up some statistics, currently the average spring flood for the river is about 8,000-10,000 cubic feet per second. Before the dam was constructed, spring floods would exceed 100,000 cubic feet per second. It used to be ten times more powerful. You can't use today's statistics to measure its past influences. Given the huge floods of times past, occuring only in the spring, we get a pattern that would work in your list of requirements: a non-raging river most of the time, producing a curving pattern, but every once in a while you get your "broken dam" effect in a different form, producing steep walls. You can't think of the river as a static, unchanging entity. The top of the canyon is shale, limestone, and sandstone, so it would have eroded through faster at the beginning. Now, the river has eaten through to the granite below, so it slowed down. If the entire canyon was one big hard granite stratum I may be more inclined to agree with you.

The Colorado enters in at 2000 feet and exits at 1800 5. the highest point in the canyon is 6000 feet.

You mean the highest point of the canyon being the top of the highest wall? Well, of course. The entire canyon system has been eroding for eons. That is, millions of years ago, both the height of the Colorado river and its origin and exit would all be higher.

Anyway as the Ice caps melted they created many of lakes of water, some of these are still here, such as the Great lakes, other would build up until there dam broke. One of these lakes formed right in front of where the Grand Canyon began and then it’s dam broke causing a Breached Dam Canyon.

I see no logic in this statement. A breached dam of enourmous proportions can produce a curvy canyon but a fast river cannot? I would imagine water let loose from a broken dam would produce a much straighter course than a river. Anyway, though, do you have any idea of how much water we're talking about here? To form the entire canyon in one fell swoop? Show me where the water came from (what dried lake) It would have to be quite buggering large.

no one survived in the America's or Mexico so it would be pointless to even try to communicate with them.

You know, it's funny. The general accepted time for the great flood (about 2300 BC) falls right in the middle of the Fifth Egyptian dynasty and the Chinese Yao dynasty. I wonder how they didn't notice the end of the world? Why aren't there signs of water erosion on the ancient Pyramids?

every culture has flood legends that nearly match the one in the Bible, there are over 200 of these recorded. So they must have come from a single pervious culture..

Because different cultures have similar legends, they must have the same source? It would amaze me if, so soon after the world was destroyed, Noah's offspring went forth and started so many new religions and cultures in so short a time. By the way, did you know that Hinduism predates the Flood? How did the religion survive?

Really does it sound like my religion is blinding me in this post or that I have blind faith?

Your faith is less blind that that of most fundamentalists. But it is muddled. I will be interested to read your upcoming response to my previous list of grievances.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins