Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Here's Why

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on March 29, 2002 16:35:03 UTC

Hi Harv,

Why stop at defining God?

Because God is, contrary to what you claim, an extremely fuzzy concept. I speak two languages and I can guarantee you that the English word "God" cannot be translated into Portuguese without losing some of its meaning. I'm serious, the God worshipped by Latins has very little to do with the God worshipped by Anglo-Saxons.

You might also find it curious that the word "God", with a capital G, does not exist in Japanese. The closest Japanese comes to the concept is "deity" but we know God is not just a deity.

So how's that for a fuzzy concept desperately lacking definition?

Why not define words like 'exist', 'prove', 'definition', etc.

Because definitions have to stop at some point. Some a-priori knowledge must necessarily be assumed, otherwise you'll spend your life playing semantic games. If you don't know what "exist", "prove", "definition" means, I suggest you go back to school. If you don't know what "God" means I can't blame you at all.

At some point in our effort to define words we totally lose the central meaning of a question which I think is rather obvious

If the meaning of the question "does God exist" is so obvious, why is it that people can't agree on an answer? Why is it that people don't waste their time asking each other "does the sun exist", or "does money exist"?

Think Harv, think!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins