Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
A Two-edged Problem

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on March 29, 2002 17:39:02 UTC

Harv,

I see a problem with the word 'God' which not a lot of people seem to mind. I could agree with you that definition is unnecessary as long as this problem is solved. Let me tell you what the problem is.

On one hand, the word God stands for the creator of the universe. On the other hand, it stands for a supernatural entity which controls our destiny, bringing us good or bad fortune depending on how we relate to it. I have no problem with those two concepts except that I can't see why they have to relate to the same entity!

That is, in my mind whatever it is that created the universe does not necessarily have to control our lives. I see no requirement whatsoever that they have to be the same, other than our ignorance of both. That is, because we don't know what created the universe, and because we are powerless before our fate, we tend to think both are somehow connected. They might be, but I just can't see why they have to.

You see, to me there's no question that the universe was created, and there's no question that my fate is in the hands of a higher power. The day I find the link between the two, that's the day I'll understand what God is. That day hasn't come yet.

By the way, I just realized, it's Good Friday. Perhaps some meditation on the meaning of the Passion might help.

Have a good Easter,

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins