Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Is There Such A Thing As Evil People?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Harvey on February 14, 2002 18:44:28 UTC

Over at counterbalance a discussion on evil caught my attention. Recently there has been a great deal of focus in the media on whether Iraq, Iran, and North Korea constitute an axis of evil. There has also been recent attention by Slobbodan Milosevic's claims that he is being demonized by the prosecutors and that this amounts to a public lynching.

My view is that if we are to communicate we must use words that have the kind of meaning that we wish to convey about someone or something. Some words have historic and religious implications (e.g., God), and those words generally have a wide application to many different meanings. I don't think we should (or can) avoid using such general terms given the fact that our language is not a formal system (like mathematics) and is in no way used so formally in any case.

Therefore, I conclude that 'evil' is applicable to individuals if what we mean someone who fits the meaning of how we use that term. The real question is how consistently are we capable of applying that word in regards to that meaning. I think it takes some effort, but it is possible to use the word evil so that things that we do not consider evil (e.g., animal behavior to kill or a war to defend one's national interests) is not applicable whereas it is still applicable to the things we have pointed out as being evil (e.g., terrorism, etc). Often, however, we turn a blind eye to our actions and this can unwittedly fool us into believing that we are not part of the very evil that we have called attention to in others (i.e., he who is not a sinner should cast the first stone).

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins