Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
But, We Can Define The Taste Of Onions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on February 15, 2002 19:52:10 UTC

Mario,

I agree that there are no formal standards if something is evil or not, but this is the case for the meaning of all words. If I asked for a definition of when the new millennium started we might have a huge controversy (as an example). The important point is that these terms are only meaningful if we understand what someone means by their use. In cases where we question the consistency of the label (e.g., she is being an evil son-of-a-gun), then this is an issue of whether the definition is consistent. The more consistent the label (both in its widespread general use and its use within one's worldview), the more we might be inclined to accept that person's definition (at least for argument's sake).

When I hear that Bush's statement about the "axis of evil" is not applicable, my question is to understand whether they have a good understanding of Bush's use of the term 'evil'. I think we both agree that 'evil' is so broadly used that it cannot be given one specific meaning, but as long as it fits within a certain context of perception, then I think it is a useful phrase (albeit an emotionally loaded one).

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins