Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Take It On Faith

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on November 25, 2001 21:28:26 UTC

For me it's like any other religion. It's all mystery and mystical. So I just take it on faith that there are a sufficient number of geniuses working on these problems that every possible avenue is and perhaps has been explored. What really counts is the mathematics and what that predicts, and if the predictions can be verified. The interpretations which are usually metaphorical descriptions of some physical process should not be taken as truth.

So the mathematics of the extra dimensions helps to solve some problems. The fact that we do not observe extra-dimensional space seems to be just explained away by compactification. Usually serious deficiencies in a theory are given words of a dozen letters or more to sweep them under the rug. Entanglement is another example of this physicological phenomenon experienced by physicists that are prominant.

So basicly I agree with you except that I am a victim of genius worship. I've obsrved a few in my time. Funny thing is that for the most part they are not nerds. They just do everything better than the rest of us, from sports to politics. Fortunately they tend to be very honest. They can afford to. They never had any reason to cheat or even cut corners.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins