Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Right On!!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on November 9, 2001 02:41:55 UTC

Luis,

I have been reading your posts and, counter to Aurino's comments, I find you to be quite rational. I only make that comment because Aurino seems to think you are not worth listening to. Maybe I have his references confused but he seems to have some old argument with you.

In my perusal of counterbalance.org, I have run across a comment to you by Harv which strikes me as somewhat shortsighted. Harv says, "agnosticism doesn't reject things we see, correct?"

With regard to that comment, I am reminded of the fact that some 60 years ago, I was told that anyone who believes more than 10% of what he hears or more than 50% of what he reads or more than 90% of what he sees with his own eyes is called gullible.

I have held that as one of the most rational statements I have ever heard. As far as I am concerned, the only error in the statement is the numerical value of the percentages listed. I have a strong suspicion the correct numbers are far smaller than those proposed.

"I do not know" is my theme song! "Exactly what may be known" is my quest!

Science is supposed to be an objective representation of what we can be sure of. If that is the definition of science then I am in favor of science; however, in my experience, science as presented today is really not much more than a religion (at least as practiced by its authoritative proponents).

Have fun -- Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins