Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
To Harvey About Life Uner Communism.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alexander on October 30, 2001 21:40:41 UTC

Of course, basics were covered well under communism. I did had 4-bedroom apartment for family of 4, good car (with 2 garages nearby apartment complex) and 600 square meter of land to build a house in the future. All free from government (except car). Plus free education and all kind of medical care. (And, of course, TV, phone, disco clubs around, ballet, operas, museums, etc).

But due to our greedy genes we were not satisfied with what we have, because in some countries some folks had more than we did. And because government told us that it is not good to desire to have much more - we disagreed and joifully destroyed that government at first opportunity (when Gorbachev came to power and let people to have more freedom). But somehow, after collapse life became not better (but much worse for most folks who had same life before collapse I had). Plenty of freedom and democracy, but much more crime, corruption, drugs. Everythink became so expensive that level of living sharply went down. That is why when I was invited to do research/teaching in US, then after a couple of years of comparing worsening situation in capitalistic Russia and better economical situation in US I decided to stay there. But if it were possible to return back to Breznev's stable and relatively good times, I would go back.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins