Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Is It Possible To Combine Freedom With Protection?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alexander on October 31, 2001 00:54:49 UTC

It would be nice to have a society which along with all possible freedoms gives to its members a good social protection against poverty, drugs, crime, poor quality goods and servces, etc.

But if those are entangled properties (freedom and safe life), then I would not mind to trade some freedom toward safety.

As to personal life, I have a good life in US ( much better than average) and I had a good life in Soviet Union. Not last factor was a good education from "tyranic regime", by the way (and I am not sure that being from not wealthy family I would afford equally good college in US).

And of course, being active was almost always very rewarding. (Although a couple of times my actions were not exactly what my bosses wanted and I had to get some heat from "above" (in both societies)).

(But who did not? I bet, anyone has a couple of stories to tell about subordination (actually non-subordination)).

So, freedom and safety - do they mix after all?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins